Curiousity: How many books can I read in one year? How many will I remember?

about

I love the written word. I love music. I love storms. I love my love with an "S".
See my complete profile

links

recent

  • Cherry Ames: Seniour Nurse - Helen Wells
  • Sebastian and the Santa Claus Caper - Mary Blount ...
  • The Autobiography of Santa Claus - As Told by Jeff...
  • Nancy Drew and the Secret of Red Gate Farm - Carol...
  • Trixie Belden and the Mysterious Code - Kathryn Kenny
  • Trixie Belden and the Black Jacket Mystery - Kathr...
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery Off Glen Road - Juli...
  • Arthur, For the Very First Time - Patricia MacLachlan
  • Donna Parker: A Spring to Remember - Marcia Martin
  • Dragons - Christopher McPherson
  • archive

  • January 2006
  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • July 2006
  • January 2008
  • i power blogger.
    site design created by yours truly.
    images hosted by picasa/hello.
    white rabbit pilfered from mr. carroll, manipulated with gimp.
    all words are mine unless otherwise noted. copyright me and etc.

    ~~*~~

    Saturday, January 21, 2006

    The Bad Mother's Handbook - Kate Long

    ISBN: 0-670-06373-8 (Hardcover)
    Pub: Pengin Group (Viking Canada), 2005

    Book borrowed from the Library.

    In a story of three generations of women living in the same house, we are introduced to Nan (the grandmother), Karen (the mother), and Charlotte (the daughter). Each has a unique perspective that causes static and sparks. Nan has dementia which makes for some interesting dialogues. Karen discovers a secret about Nan that changes her life. Charlotte gets pregnant and ruins Karen's hopes for her future.

    It takes a little while to get used to the way the author trudges back and forth between perspectives (written in the first person, the three take turns telling the story so it takes a few lines in to realize who took over). A pretty good read though, and kind of amusing.

    Excerpt:


    All those times I was here, I was thinking, and the last few weeks, we never knew; I had cells dividing inside me: 2, 4, 8, 16, an exponential time bomb. Cells all drifting to their alloted place like syncrhonized swimmers. Shape-shifting: amoeba to blackberry, shrimp, alien, baby. There's a baby under this sweatshirt. Hello, Dad.

    "Hey, are you all right? You look a bit -- funny."

    I took heart from what might have been concern in his voice and stepped forward. "Paul, I - no. I'm not all right. I, I'm--" My hand dipped automatically to my stomach and his eyes followed it, then widened. Then his brows came down and his whole face went hard.

    "Paul?"



    Time to read: 2 evenings
    Rate: ***--
    Posted by: Slowplum at: 8:35 AM
    0 comments

    ~~*~~

    Top